Staff Software Engineer, Gameplay, Tech-Lead - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0003160
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As Software Engineers, we work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer working as the Gameplay Tech Lead within Research & Development, you will use your understanding of the entire software development lifecycle to build and deliver a brand new game! You will work with state-of-the-art technology, honing your craft in at least one area of specialization, and explore new solutions to surprise and delight our players. You will lead a team of engineers in the technical direction, implementation of the product, and their professional development. You will report to the Manager of Software Engineering.
- Identify, prioritize, and implement game systems and engine features in a new title
- Collaborate with product and discipline leads to identify focus areas, handoff points, and provide the best solution for the development phase
- Lead and contribute to architecture requirements, technical design, and implementation for relevant systems
- Contribute substantially to the codebase
- Help shape the technical direction and standards for the team
- Mentor other engineers on the team in all aspects of game development
- Work with cross-disciplinary teams
- 6+ years of game development experience with depth in client, server, and gameplay
- 2+ years as a tech lead
- BS in Computer Science, or proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- Excellent knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Strong ability to collaborate with teammates across multiple disciplines
- Proven ability to develop gameplay systems
- Product sense and player empathy in making tech decisions
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or relevant field
- Experience using Unreal Engine 4
- Deep knowledge of modern C++
- Experience developing 3D animation systems
- You believe that diverse teams are fundamentally more engaging. You work actively to promote an environment where individuals on the team feel included and are encouraged to contribute their perspectives to help the team make better decisions
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).