Principal Software Engineer - Riot Data, Fandom & Experiences
Job Id: REQ-0004980
Riot engineers bring knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Principal Software Engineer, you'll collaborate with engineers and data scientists across Riot to build products accessible to fans globally.
As part of Riot's goal to become the entertainment company of the 21st century, the Fandom and Experiences Initiative within Riot Data partners with ESports, Entertainment, and Publishing to provide resonant content to fans.
As the Principal Software Engineer for the Initiative, you'll own all aspects of our technical vision and strategy. You will work with tech leads within the Initiative to make sure our technical vision aligns with player needs and our long-term goals, and with your counterparts on our partner teams to guarantee a consistent technical approach to our data products. You will report directly to the Senior Engineering Manager for the Initiative.
- Develop the technical strategy and set the bar for Engineering within the Initiative.
- Ensure all the teams within Fandom And Experiences are held to our standards and shared technical goals
- Iterate with Product and Design to share tech vision and goals and balance for technical constraints
- Identify opportunities for tech to improve the product and improve sustainable development
- Provide leadership and coaching to team technical leads
- Participate in interviewing and act as an essential member for hiring decisions
- 8+ years of experience as a software engineer across the full software development lifecycle
- 3+ years experience as tech lead for large scoped products/teams
- Experience developing, deploying, and operating microservices at global scales
- Experience with big data processing, storage, transport, and orchestration systems
- Experience developing large systems from scratch, including gathering requirements, designing scalable, production-ready architecture, breaking down the project into smaller work items, and leading the development across multiple contributors
- Experience coaching those around them across all roles, and mentoring mid and senior level engineers
- Experience working with members outside of their immediate organization to achieve team/organization goals
- Experience implementing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Mastery of industry-standard tools, frameworks, and practices for their language(s) of choice
- Experience shipping and supporting machine learning algorithms in production services
- Experience with the Apache data stack (Spark, Airflow)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $203,000 USD - $283,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Bellevue only) Base salary range between $203,000 USD - $283,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).